Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

My friend Amy/Spedbug  turned me on to Allie Brosh's blog. Then, Jenny Lawson started mentioning that Brosh has a book coming out soon, so I put it in my mental note file (which is wa-a-a-ay to full and needs to be cleared out) to pick it up when I could. But the nice things about books on your wishlist that come out in November, is that sometimes, people look at that list for this gift-giving event in December. So yay! My own copy!

Brosh's honesty is charming, eye-opening, heart-rending, and sometimes painful to read. She approaches mental health issues that most people skirt away from, or sweep into a closed. Her courage is what makes it easier to read (if she can write it, I owe it to her to read it) -- well, her courage, and her wonderful drawings that can capture so much with such sparse detail.

But the book is not all emotion -- there are some wonderful stories of life, dogs, a goose in the kitchen, and young post-op, still- anesthetized Allie wanting to go to a party. Love.

(One additional mention: Allie lived in Sandpoint Idaho for a bit and was friends with a friend of mine who lives there. One degree of separation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment